- In 1849, the Tallahassee population had grown to almost 1800 men, women, children, black and white, slaves and free. From this diverse number, four men and five women organized the Baptist Church of Tallahassee.
- The first church building was a frame structure situated on the south side of College Avenue on a lot purchased from Jackson Lodge No. 1 F&AM and Leon Lodge No. 5 100F for $500.
- With missionary pastors sent from the Home Mission Board, the membership grew until the Civil war began. During the war the church building was used by both armies. After Federal occupation, it came back into Baptist control in dilapidated condition. With no pastor and only six members to be found, there was no record of ministry until 1880, when the Mission Board sent Rev. A. C. McCants to lead the church.
- In September 1894 the name of the church was changed to First Baptist Church of Tallahassee. The Lord's supper was first celebrated in February 1895. From meager purses the building was remodeled, re-finished, and reoccupied on January 21, 1900.
- The church purchased a lot on the northeast corner of Adams Street and College avenue for $5,000, and the first pastorium was built in the center of the block. With the coming of Pastor-builder Rev. J. Dean Adcock, a new church seating 350, built to the proportional lines of the Parthenon of Greece, was dedicated in November 1915. Membership had reached 407.
- This church served our needs during the 1920s and 1930s. In the 1940s World War II brought a great influx of military personnel. FSCW became coeducational (FSU), and students were filling every service. The time had come to build again.
- God sent us another Pastor-builder. Dr. Harold G. Sanders recently discharged from Navy Chaplain service in the Philippines, came to lead us through an eight-year building program which began with ground breaking for the Duval wing on May 29, 1949, and ended with the dedication of the Adams wing and sanctuary on September 29, 1957. Our Second Century Church was complete.
- Still more churches were needed in Tallahassee. During the years we established six mission churches throughout the city.
- Under the guidance of Pastor Dr. Robert M. McMillan, a Christian Life Center (recreation) was built in 1974, and the Chason Memorial Building (administrative offices and classrooms) was completed in 1987. In 1998 buildings at 201 West Park Avenue and 114 South Duval Street were purchased for further expansion.
The complete church history, written in Window to the Past, by Margaret Mash and Edith Sederquist, may be obtained in the church office.